Bean Soup Mix
- Cook Time: 10 Minutes
- Yield: 6 gifts
- This makes 6 "batches" of dry soup mix to use for gift giving - but be sure to save a batch or two for yourself!
- 1 lb baby lima beans
- 1 lb lentils
- 1 lb red kidney beans
- 1 lb green split peas
- 1 lb black eyed peas
- 1 lb navy beans
Bean Soup Recipe
- 1 container dry bean mix
- 1 package spice mix
- 8 cup warm water
- 1 ham hock (about 8 to 12 ounces)
- 1 can (14. 5 ounces) chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tbsp liquid smoke
- 2 tbsp pepper, red crushed
- 2 tbsp garlic salt
- 2 tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 6 bay leaves, whole
- To prepare bean mix: Combine dry beans in a large bowl and mix. Divide into 6 equal parts, about 2 cups each, and place in airtight containers
- To prepare spice mix: For each spice “package” combine 1 teaspoon EACH of garlic salt, crushed red pepper and Italian seasoning. Add 1 bay leaf to each package. Place each spice package in a small container or wrap in tightly woven cloth and tie securely
- Include the below recipe with each batch.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes, Soak Time (for beans): 8 hours, Cook Time: 3-1/2 hours (stovetop)
- Rinse beans. Place in a large bowl and cover with water to 2 inches above the beans. Cover and let stand 8 hours or overnight.
- Drain beans. Combine beans with 8 cups water and ham hock in a stock pot or Dutch oven. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add spice mix, tomatoes, onion and liquid smoke. Cover. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 2 hours
- Remove lid and simmer an additional hour, or until beans are tender. Discard bay leaf. Remove ham hock; shred meat from bone. Return meat to soup. Serve hot
This can be made using a slow cooker. Rehydrate beans as directed above. Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker, and cook on high 5 to 6 hours, or low 8 to 10 hours.