Coconut Pecan Bourbon Cake
- Cook Time: 1 Hour, 10 Minutes
- Yield: 12 to 16 servings
No one will ever guess that this starts with a cake mix!
- 1/2 cup corn starch
- 1 package (18.25 ounces) yellow cake mix
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup toasted chopped pecans, divided
- 2/3 cup corn oil
- 3/4 cup toasted flaked coconut, divided
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 2 tbsp bourbon OR orange juice
- 1/2 cup corn syrup, light
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, pure
- 1/4 cup butter
- Reserved toasted coconut and pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°F.* Grease and flour a 12-cup fluted tube pan or 10 x 4-inch tube pan.
- Combine cake mix, corn starch, sugar and brown sugar in a large mixing bowl. Add eggs, water, oil, bourbon and vanilla; beat at low speed of electric mixer until smooth. Increase speed to medium; beat 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup each coconut and pecans. (Reserve remaining coconut and pecans for glaze.) Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake 50 to 55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 20 minutes. Remove; place on wire rack. While cake is still warm, prepare glaze.
- For Glaze: Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar and corn syrup. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently until sugar dissolves and mixture boils. Remove from heat; stir in bourbon, orange juice and vanilla, if desired.
- Pierce warm cake thoroughly with a fork. Brush with glaze. Let stand 30 minutes. Repeat piercing and brushing with glaze. Stir reserved coconut and pecans into remaining glaze; spoon over top of cake.
If using dark nonstick pan, bake at 325°F.