Caramel Pecan Rolls with Make Ahead Directions
- Cook Time: 3 Hours, 25 Minutes
- Yield: 2 dozen
An American classic! This recipe includes make ahead directions, so you can make the rolls a day ahead and bake them the next day for easy entertaining!
- Caramel Syrup:
- 2 cup (8 ounces) whole pecans
- 1/2 cup corn syrup, light
- 2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 cup butter OR margarine
- 2 cup (8 ounces) chopped pecans
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter OR margarine, melted
- 2 tbsp Ground Cinnamon
- 7 1/2 to 8 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 envelopes yeast, rapid or quick rise
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 1/4 cup very warm water (120 to 130F)
- 1 cup butter OR margarine, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Mix 4 cups flour, undissolved yeast, sugar, and salt in a large mixer bowl. Add water and butter; beat well. Add eggs. Add enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. Turn out on lightly floured surface.
- Knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 to 10 minutes. Cover and let dough rest 10 minutes. Divide dough in half.
- Roll each half out to a 10 x 14-inch rectangle on a lightly floured surface. For filling, begin by brushing each rectangle with 1/4 cup melted butter. Combine 1 cup sugar with cinnamon. Sprinkle 1/2 cup cinnamon sugar and 1 cup chopped pecans on each rectangle. Roll up from long side.
- Cut each roll into 12 slices.
- To make caramel syrup, melt butter in a saucepan. Add brown sugar, corn syrup and vanilla. Stir until blended. Place half of the caramel syrup and 1 cup pecans in two greased 13 x 9-inch pans. (Or 1/2 cup syrup and 1/2 cup pecans in 8-inch square baking pans.) Place 12 rolls per 13 x 9-inch pan, or 6 rolls per 8-inch pan, cut side down. Cover. **
- Let rise in a warm, draft free place until double, about 45 to 50 minutes.
- Bake at 325°F for 20 to 25 minutes for 13 x 9-inch pans; 15 to 20 minutes if using 8-inch pans. Cool slightly before turning out of pan.
- **To make ahead: Cover unrisen rolls with plastic wrap that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Refrigerate overnight. Remove rolls from refrigerator and place pan over a bowl of very hot water to rise. (You may need to reheat the water several times during the rise time). Allow about 2-1/2 to 3 hours for the rolls to double in bulk. Remove plastic wrap and bake as directed above.